- PhD in Earth & Planetary Sciences (Dr. rer. nat., summa cum laude), The University of Münster in cooperation with ESA & the DLR Institute of Planetary Research (2012).
- Diploma in Physics (Dipl. Phys. ETH), ETH Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (2006).
- Planetary Geodynamics & Evolution.
- Deep Life & Habitability.
- Subsurface Exploration in the Solar System: from Life to ISRU.
- Water and Sustainability on the Earth.
- Human Space Exploration.
- Tech development, mission planning and strategy.
- Research Scientist, 01/2018 – now, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)
- MarsX (Mars Subsurface Exploration Initiative): PI for TH2OR (Liquid water sounder)
- Lead scientist for Mars Small Spacecraft Advanced Concepts Study
- Lead scientist for Mars Deep Drill Advanced Concepts Study
- Research Staff Scientist, 09/2017-01/2018, California Institute of Technology
- Simons Foundation’s Collaboration on the Origins of Life Fellow, 08/2015-09/2017, Postdoctoral Scholar in Geobiology, California Institute of Technology
- Swiss National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow, 2012-07/2015, MIT – Department of Earth, Atmospheric & Planetary Sciences
- European Space Agency (ESA) Graduate Student Fellow, 2008-2012
- Institute of Planetary Research @ the German Aerospace Center (DLR) and the European Space Research and Technology Center (ESTEC)
- Visiting Scientist, 2007-2008, Institute of Planetary Research @ German Aerospace Center
- PI for space experiment Chondro II on Cervantes Mission to ISS, 2003-2006, tissue engineering/fluid mixing on the International Space Station to improve cartilage transplants and explore fluid dynamics and cellular matrix formation in microgravity.
- PI for space experiment Chondro I on the Russian space satellite Foton M1, 2001-2002, tissue engineering/fluid mixing to improve cartilage transplants and explore fluid dynamics and cellular matrix formation in microgravity.
- PI for microgravity experiment Lidia on student parabolic flight campaign, 2000-2001, fluid dynamics in test units for T-lymphocyte apoptosis studies in microgravity.